For The Cheesecake Topping
4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon non-fat plain yogurt
1/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
For The Brownie Layer
1/4 cup strong (or prepared instant) coffee, or black tea
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (Hershey’s is an ideal brand for this ingredient)
2/3 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large egg whites or 4 teaspoons dried egg whites (You can find this ingredient in the baking aisle of Walmart and other major supermarkets)
1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a 7-by-11-inch baking pan, and coat it with cooking spray; set aside.
2. Prepare the topping: In a small bowl, place the cream cheese and beat using an electric mixer for a minute or two. Add the sugar, and beat the mixture until it becomes smooth. After that, add the all-purpose flour, egg, yogurt and vanilla; beat until well blended.
3. Prepare the brownie layer: In a bowl, whisk together the whole-wheat flour, cocoa and salt; set aside. Place egg, egg whites, and brown sugar in a large bowl. With an electric mixer, beat the mixture on medium speed until smooth. Pour the coffee (or tea), oil, and vanilla in the large bowl, and beat. Add dry ingredients, and beat on low speed until well blended. Make sure that you stop once to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
4. Divide the brownie batter in half. Scrape the first half of the batter into the prepared pan, and then pour the topping evenly on its top. Drop the rest of the brownie batter in large dollops over the topping. Using the tip of a knife or skewer, draw through the batters to achieve the signature swirled effect of this dessert.
5. Place the pan in the oven to bake until the top of the brownies are firm, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, and place it on a wire rack to cool completely. Before cutting the brownies, coat the knife with cooking spray. Serve.
Tip: Since this recipe requires 20 minutes only, it is best that you stay in the kitchen throughout the entire baking process. I suggest that you do an activity of some sort – like knitting, reading a book, and participating in FoxyBingo.com and similar social gaming sites – to past the time.