For many of us, the term “couture” evokes images of willowy models on runways, sporting uncomfortable and outrageously expensive vintage gowns and antique broaches. But for 2013, many savvy fashion designers are taking steps to make couture styles much more accessible to the everyday woman. If you are looking for a way to change up your look a bit or add a bit of flair to your outfits, it’s even easier than ever these days. The very good news: you don’t have to dive headfirst into head-to-toe couture. You can start out small.
(Image via loveMeagan)
A Little Bit Of Glam Goes A Long Way When It Comes To Couture
Here are just a few easy, affordable ways to incorporate some inspired couture touches into your everyday ensembles. From high-end ready-to-wear to mass-market pieces, these are available at a range of price points. You won’t have to worry about sacrificing your wallet for to keep on top of the latest trends.
- Get girly and romantic with lace: It’s pretty, feminine, and timeless—and it’s popping up on everything from denim jackets to corsets to footless leggings. Again, you don’t have to succumb to a full lace shirt. A few small touches like a lace-trimmed hem or lace pocket can make just as big of an impact. A little subtlety goes a long way.
- Expand your color palette beyond black and white: Step outside of your color comfort zone to experiment with sage, silver, violet, rose, and other couture-inspired shades. If you are hesitant, start small with a brightly colored scarf, belt, or layering tank. Even if you are shopping on a limited budget, understanding and utilizing the nuances of color can go a long way toward establishing an authentic couture style.
- Go for florals and polka dots and other retro patterns: These whimsically nostalgic patterns that invoke older eras are delightfully feminine, playful, and are popping up in all kinds of celebrity ensembles. Go all out with a belted polka dot sundress or a high-waisted polka dot bikini, or you can pair a pretty floral tunic with capri leggings.
Three Tips For Becoming An Everyday Couture Girl
- To stay on top of specific trends, browse through the latest fashion magazines. In addition to checking out the fashion spreads in the newest issues, carve out some time to read and study the trend reports and designer reviews. There are also hundreds of quality fashion blogs online, where you can get up-to-the-minute style news and tips from industry experts and chic, stylish, fashion-forward consumers.
- And keep an eye on what the hottest celebrities are wearing. They are usually an accurate barometer for what’s hot on the runways, as many fashion designers and stylists use A-listers as real world models for their newest and latest styles and looks.
- When choosing clothing for yourself, look for pieces that fit your figure, not hide it. When you are going for a couture-inspired look, you want to create an hourglass silhouette—not a baggy or boxy look. Your clothes should follow your bodyline, not the other way around.
This summer, you don’t have to dive headfirst into the “haute couture” pool. Instead of head-to-toe couture, try testing the waters with a little lace, a hint of velvet, or an unexpected, eye-popping splash of color. Check online for great deals on swimsuits and other apparel at places like Nordstrom and Target, which carry the latest fashion-forward trends, and have accessible price points.
Above all, don’t be afraid to take a chance on risks. After all, couture isn’t about blending in or following trends—it’s about standing out and forging a new style path for yourself.
Melissa Rudy is a staff writer for BluePromoCode.